Legal Assistant - Estate Planning and Estate and Trust Administration
The Suffolk office of Pender & Coward seeks a qualified Legal Assistant to perform a variety of duties in support of our Estate Planning and Estate and Trust Administration team on site at our Suffolk office with occasional travel to our Virginia Beach office. This is a full-time position.
- Support attorneys and paralegals.
- Prepare drafted estate planning documents for signing. Attend and notarize documents at signing.
- Process estate planning documents after signing.
- Draft transmittal letters for various beneficiary designations being sent to brokerage houses, insurance companies, etc.
- Prepare spreadsheets of client assets and track retitling.
- Renew LLC and corporate registrations, online, for approximately 100 companies a year.
- Download and save electronically, monthly, over 100 brokerage statements.
- Download and save over 100 Schedules K-1, mainly during March, April and September, but some throughout the year.
- Assemble tax returns for filing for those which are to be paper filed.
- Assemble tax returns, which have been electronically filed, with backup and filing verification to be saved electronically.
- Act as liaison between current and potential clients and the attorneys by maintaining continual communications via email, telephone, and in person.
- Follow up with clients regarding status of cases, appointments, billing, etc.
- Draft simple legal documents, according to specifications.
- Prepare routine correspondence, tax and accounting documents, reports, and letters.
- Opportunity to learn to learn preparation of basic accountings for trusts and estates.
- Maintain attorneys’ calendars; schedule and follow up on all appointments (i.e., clients, case work, and potential clients).
- Open, organize, maintain, scan, and close paper and electronic client files.
- Input timekeeper data.
- Handle confidential information with discretion.
- Perform a variety of other tasks as assigned.
- Expert level verbal and written communication skills, and mathematical skills.
- Operational knowledge of standard office equipment including copier, scanner, and telephone.
- Strong understanding of legal terminology or ability to learn.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines.
- Meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Decision-making and problem-solving capabilities.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, co-workers, and other professionals.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or significant experience
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency
- Able to sit at a desk and work at a computer for prolonged periods.
- Able to type at a level of 45 WPM or faster.
- Able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Pay is commensurate with experience.