Jeff Gray is an attorney focusing his practice on a wide array of commercial litigation matters including banking, construction, and investment and securities industry disputes.
Jeff has a career long record of taking cases to trial before juries, judges and arbitrators. Jeff’s extensive trial experience is varied in both case type and geographic location. This wide ranging advocacy experience proves invaluable to clients who are faced with complex, high stakes, and/or “bet the company” disputes.
Jeff is a former securities arbitrator and panel chair with the NASD (now FINRA) and he has lectured at numerous state and local bar association and industry seminars on damages, financial services and litigation issues.
- Led a trial team defending complex questions of insurance coverage for whistleblower claims and a resulting multimillion dollar government settlement. The matter was successfully resolved shortly before the jury trial began, which would have focused on the question of government contracts fraud by the insured/adverse party.
- Successfully resolved a $65 million professional liability claim against an insurance broker by a customer alleging deliberate underinsurance following a catastrophic loss.
- Represented a bank purchaser of failed financial institution assets, totaling roughly $500 million, in resolving its most challenging credits. The bank received accolades from the FDIC regarding its efficient and cost-effective performance under the FDIC’s “Loss Share Program.”
- Resolved congressional and FDIC inquiries into a bank’s loan workout and collection practices, resulting in no action against the financial institution.
- Litigated and resolved numerous “business divorce” cases involving, for example, manufacturing, importing, hospitality and a medical practice.
- Virginia State Bar, Attorney Disciplinary Committee Chairman for Second Judicial District
- Central Business District Association, Past Member of Board of Directors
- Virginia Bar Association, Past Member of Board of Governors
- Virginia Law Foundation, Past Member of Board of Directors
- Virginia State Bar, Former Chair of Litigation Section
- Virginia Beach Bar Association, Past President and Executive Board Member
- Virginia Supreme Court Jury Reform Task Force, Past Member
- Virginia Beach Bar Foundation, Past Member of Board of Directors
- American Inns of Court, I’Anson-Hoffman Chapter, Past Member of Executive Committee
- Boyd-Graves Conference, Past Member
- National Association of Securities Dealers (now FINRA), Former Arbitrator
- AV Preeminent® – Judicial Edition, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2023, Litigation Securities, 2011-2023, Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2011-2023
- Virginia Super Lawyers, 2006-2023
- Virginia's Legal Elite, Civil Litigation, 2022 and 2023
- Coastal Virginia's Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2022-2024
- United Way Campaign, Member and Past Chair of Board of Directors, Virginia Beach Division and Past Member of Regional Board of Directors
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce, Past Chair of Virginia Beach Division and Past Member of Regional Board of Directors
- Virginia Beach Vision, Past Member of Board of Directors
- Leadership Hampton Roads, Graduate and Past Member of Alumni Board
- United Way, Former Chair of Virginia Beach Campaign and Hampton Roads Regional Cabinet Member
- Brighton on the Bay Civic Association, Past President and Past Member of Board of Directors