Paralegal (Full Time) - Litigation
Full time, hourly
The paralegal will support a legal team in our Virginia Beach office that specializes in civil rights litigation involving state and local governments. The paralegal will assist attorneys by maintaining files and client relationships involving high profile cases in a growing practice area. The right candidate will have a strong work ethic, be a quick learner, and want to grow with our company.
- Pay is commensurate with experience.
- Act as liaison between current and potential clients and the attorneys by maintaining communications via email, telephone, and in person.
- Provide client follow-up regarding status of cases, appointments, billing, etc.
- Prepare routine correspondences, pleadings, discovery documents, reports, and letters.
- Maintain attorney schedules and calendar important dates.
- Responsible for ensuring timely filing with the courts. Maintain court schedules and other case deadlines.
- Assist attorneys in preparation for court appearances.
- Open, organize, maintain, and close paper and electronic client files.
- Handle confidential information with discretion.
- Perform a variety of other tasks as assigned by supervising attorney.
- Minimum of three years’ relevant work experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and document management software.
- Operational knowledge of standard office equipment including copier, scanner, telephone, and dictation/transcription equipment.
- Strong understanding of legal terminology with excellent editing and grammar skills.
- Familiar with federal and Virginia court procedures.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines.
- Proven meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrate proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on complex legal projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, attorneys, co-workers, and other outside professionals.
Education and Experience
- Paralegal experience (preferred)
- Microsoft Office application proficiency (preferred)
- Able to sit at a desk and work at a computer for prolonged periods.
- Able to type at a speed of 55 WPM or faster.
- Able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.